Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Man

I find myself thinking about who The Man is this morning. Could it be DWG or Bill G or maybe even Craig Broback, they all think so, but as Pete says " here comes the new boss, same as the old boss" as you know that if you work at Graebel, there is nothing new about any of them.

Most of you know by now I have taken up the ugly habit of smoking, cigarettes. One of the best benefits of this is going to the smoke hole several times a day and getting to know people from Candy Kinas to this temp named Daniel who has been in more "wars" than most of us can imagine. These are the people that are the real Man is our day to day lives, not people with titles that are empty suits void of any soul at all. I know because I used to be one of Them and you cannot realize how empty you were until you look in the rearview mirror and realize what a worthless human being you were.

So take time to get to know The Man in your lives. The grocery cashier, your neighbor, the driver and the people in our lives that really count. Most of us in this family have lived a fairly sheltered life, distanced from the vagabonds, hurting people that will admit it, the drunks and people that have lived a lot of life. I enjoyed being with Sandy Martin and listening to some of the tragic things that have happened in her life, including when Junior came home one day and had lost his job, so she and Junior cut firewood and sold it on the streets and door to door to make a living, that is real now. Most of our biggest struggles come when we have to decide which show to watch on TV or which song to download off Itunes, pathetic.

Oh, and wherever you are with your God, he is The Man and don't forget to listen to him too.

7 comments:

Micah said...

I didn't know you were smoking, cigarettes. I've gotten into the habit of talking with the guy who drives my bus everyday. He's the most cheerful person I see all day.

LORD I MUST HAVE BEEN BLIND said...

Wow...from captin beefheart to beefed up heart!!! You are a beautiful person...I fell in love with THIS "man" children....this" IS your father Luke", take heed boys and girls.....this is the real Rick.

Luke...Heidi...Brooke....Jake said...

smoking. Great lose weight and lose a lung at the same time. I have heard lungs are very overated.

LORD I MUST HAVE BEEN BLIND said...

Teach your parents well
Their children's hell will slowly go by
And feed them on your dreams
The one they pick's the one you'll know by

Don't you ever ask them why
If they told you, you would cry
So just look at them and sigh
And know they love you

mchumps said...

I like the real Rick. I like having an actual emotional reaction to what somebody has to say. You make me think and there are lessons learned. I'm getting to know my family...really know you all. This is fun. :)

Anonymous said...

Your comment about Junior made me remember...

I remember VIVIDLY the day that you got fired from/left/quit Allied. It seems like it was summer...I remember it being hot in that little Toyota (I think) hatchback/wagon. Was shitting my pants becasue I had no idea what the F was going on. I was probably about 7. Anyway, that was real life watching you walk out of that building with your box of stuff from your office.

Your blog also reminded me of Ron. The drunk that Dad helped from Eastwood. That freaked me out too, but it was real life. To me, that was the ultimate example of selfishness and compassion.

Unknown said...

I agree. Over the last few years as I have gotten deeper at MPSI and into doing what some like to call ministry. I woke up one morning thinking what we do and spend all this time on isn't real life. I have even had my beef with many a pastor or church leader ship over what we really do that matters. I have battled with it over and over. How do I view others and why I view them that way. My memory went back to waking up in a car with my mother in lubbock Texas years ago. I was freezing and scared, but had an overwhelming sense of freedom because there were no deadlines or debts or interests in getting any. Joy was being together. Religion gets in the way of that. BEing together - realy loving each other and making things happen. I still can't fully find my words nor will i bore you with them ,but thank you for the honesty - It's hard to come by these days